Monday, August 9, 2010

On Justin Bieber (Or, I said, On Justin Bieber! What, are you deaf?)

I survived the Justin Bieber concert! I said, I survived the Justin Bieber concert! What? What? I can't hear you. You want me to stop screaming? I'm not screaming! And what's that damn ringing noise? Oh yeah, I survived the Justin Bieber concert, but my eardrums didn't.

And so it goes. 22,000 fans - most of whom were female and under the age of 15 - screamed for Justin and put the power of performance amps to shame. Female screams have a higher decibel level than male screams, and young female screams are higher than mature female screams. Therefore, it stands to reason that before Justin Bieber actually goes through puberty, he will be too deaf to hear his own voice cracking.

Until that day, however, I have to admit the boy can put on a show. He can dance like all get-out, play guitar while suspended in a sparkling ball, and play the drums. Who knew? I've also heard he writes much of his own music. Can Taylor Swift dance like that? I'm just sayin'.

It's a good thing the boy put on a great show because I know three little girls who would have given him what-for if he hadn't pulled through. The thrill of being at his show was brand new for the girls when we pulled up to the arena. I say brand new because until that moment, they had believed we were all going to girls' night out dinner. They'd been good sports about it all since what they really wanted to do that night was see Justin Bieber, but with ticket prices being prohibitively expensive n' all...they understood. Except that one week earlier, my friend had scored a handful of free tix for club seats. At that moment, the made-up girls' night out story was born as she and I secretly looked forward to the all-u-can-eat smorgasbord and open bar. Yeah, baby, open bar, which is the least they could provide to all the parents who were doomed to lose their hearing before the night's end.

So we're heading out to our special surprise dinner location when we "accidentally" get stuck in arena traffic. With three girls and three moms in the car, the next few moments went something like this:

Presley: "Why aren't we moving? I'm hungry."
Me: "Sorry, girls. Bieber traffic."
My daughter: "Aw, Mom!"
Me: "I should have known better. Sorry."
Denise: * crosses arms over chest* "Now we have to watch all those people going into the concert. That's so unfair!"
Denise's mom: *smirk*
Presley: "Can't you get in the faster lane? Over there."
Me: "Neh, we're already in this lane."
Presley's mom: "I have an idea."
Presley: *rolls eyes*
Me: "What?"
Presley's mom: *digs through purse and then waves tickets in the air* Let's go to the Justin Bieber concert!

Here is the look from the backseat...












And here we all are ready to have our eardrums blown out enjoy the concert.
Here's the proof we were there. See the Justin Bieber screens in the background? Like my daughter's braids? It took me almost an hour to do these but amazingly less than two minutes for her to take them out the next day. Argh. Still, it was worth it since I caught her on camera...AT THE JUSTIN BIEBER CONCERT!

For the next 24 hours, I was her hero. But life has now resumed normalcy since hero worship dies an even faster death than those braids did.

Ah, Justin...may your shining star burn slightly longer.

7 comments:

  1. Great post. Great photos. Thanks for this.

    All the best, Boonsong

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great thing to do. You're such an awesome Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So awesome. Love how you set it up. Surprises like that are the best!

    Justin's dancers just came to my dance studio to teach a master class. I didn't attend because the # they allowed was limited and I figured I should let all the younger kids attend, but I hear it was a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How awesome you surprised them!!! I love this post. That must have been a blast to plan and execute. I said, THAT MUST HAVE BEEN A BLAST-- oh never mind. I'll wait until you're hearing returns.

    ((hugs)) Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are an amazing mom to subject yourself to Justin Bieber.

    There's not a day that goes by that I don't thank my lucky stars neither of my daughters is a fan. I don't think I could take it. No, really. I don't think I could. There's something creepy about a pre-pubescent singing about love. Ewww.

    Ahem. But GOOD FOR YOU! What a great surprise and memory for the kidlings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Justin Bieber and im 10 years old :D

    ReplyDelete